Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bones become fragile. It is also known as a silent disease and does not show any symptoms until a fracture occurs. Osteoporosis is a growing global problem and statistics show that worldwide, fractures affect one in three women and one in five men over the age of 50. Calcium and minerals from bones start depleting as early as 30 years of age.The theme of World Osteoporosis Day 2017 is to “Love your bones - Protect your future” with an aim to promote global awareness of osteoporosis.
OSTEOPOROSIS AND ASSOCIATED RISK FACTORS
There are primary and secondary types of Osteoporosis: The cause of primary osteoporosis is age-related bone loss (senile osteoporosis) or due to an unknown cause (idiopathic osteoporosis). On the other hand, secondary osteoporosis is caused by modern lifestyle, steroid-based medications, and immobilization.
EVENTUSLIFE’S RECOMMENDATIONS ON OSTEOPOROSIS
1. Management of modifiable and non-modifiable Osteoporosis risk factors:
Modifiable Risks Factors: Managing them is in your own hands!
· Maintain Body Mass Index (BMI): A normal body weight to height ratio of 18.5-24.5 should be maintained for healthy bones. Keep a check!
· Healthy Nutrition: A nutritious diet containing protein, calcium and vitamin D can help to maintain healthy bones and reduce the chances of osteoporosis. Eat wisely!
· Physical Exercises: Regular physical exercises such as walking, running, stretching and yoga significantly reduces the risk of bone fracture and increases bone density. Go for it!
· Smoking and Alcohol: Smoking and alcohol affects bones and raises the chances of osteoporosis. Let’s quit!
Non-Modifiable Risk Factors
· Age: Aging is inevitable. But let’s age healthily! With growing age, it is advisable to undergo routine checkups for early diagnosis of osteoporosis and prevent any complications later.
· Family history: Continuous monitoring and precautionary measures will help in coping with genetic diseases.
Fight Osteoporosis! You can find help at your fingertips! EventusLife with its web-based portal and a mobile app for both Android and iPhone, will help you search the nearest doctors and book your regular appointments, order your medicines from the nearest pharmacies and have sample collections taken from your nearest lab/diagnostic centers. You can reach out to us at www.eventuslife.com for consultation or appointments, early diagnosis, scanning and medications for osteoporosis.
Leave a Comment